Recently, a friend of mine asked me to help her sort through her clothes. She is moving soon, and she wanted to rid her closet of the articles of clothing she no longer wore. It was late and I knocked on her apartment door. Her room had been sectionalized, and she was already busy going through drawers, etc. We immediately grabbed some garbage bags and set to work. I will be honest: this sometimes complicated task did not take long…at all! I was laughing hysterically as I pointed out certain outfits and said, “You went on a date with so and so in that dress.” Needless to say she still had ALL of her clothes from college!!! This was such a shock to me, but she somehow had gotten so behind these last three years that she didn’t even notice.
We finished with instructions that she MUST go shopping the next day, because she simply had no clothes. I have since then wondered about many of you. What does your closet look like? Do you still have those shoes with a hole in the heel, but you keep them ’cause they are just too cute! Ladies, it is time for an intervention! So, roll up those sleeves and let’s begin!
Chances are you have a closet full of clothes you never wear or never have worn! Has your closet become a mystery to you? D0 you always grab the old faithful because it is the easiest? Has getting dressed in the morning become such a chore, because you have so many items to look through? You can look fab, but at the end of the day you have some tough decisions standing in your way.
When I left my friend’s house, she was a little bit discouraged; little did she realize that she had been wearing the same things over and over again. Once we shrunk her closet quantity down, she thought she had “nothing to wear” When in all actuality, she had more options than she had been giving herself. A great closet does not just happen. And let me insert, I have tons of clothes, but I wear everything I own or I donate it. Knowing your clothes and what works for you will save you time and give you a peace of mind. You can look great every day with not much fussing!
This is not a simple task! Have you seen the show, What Not To Wear? Stacy and Clinton immediately purge the women’s closets. These women become hurt, angry, and embarrassed when they are shown just how awful their style is. Seriously, you don’t need clothing as keepsakes! So, go ditch that t-shirt that says, “Panama Beach 2005″. The purpose for clothes are not for memories or costumes.
You need to realize that building your closet back up after it has been torn down takes time, but for god’s sake don’t keep an article of clothing because it is just another outfit. Don’t settle with your closet! If you cannot do this alone, grab a friend! Someone who has style and is not gonna lie to you or tell you what you wanna hear. Know what you want to accomplish and what your style is. This can seem overwhelming, but facing it head on is the hardest part!
Plan, plan, plan.
- You are not gonna accomplish this in an hour, so set aside a day or weekend even to do this.
- Get on Pinterest look for cute closet ideas, something that will motivate you to DIY on your own!
- Get appropriate hangers, a full-length mirror, garbage bags, power music and probably a Starbucks!
- Empty your wardrobe and sectionalize by season.
- Start with the current season and then eventually go through each season.
Sort, sort, sort.
- Try everything on! If it might fit one day pitch it; chances are it never has and never will.
- Does it fit your taste, is it out of date?
- Don’t settle! Someone less fortunate than you could use a lot of the clothes you never wear.
- Have a yard sale.
Ditch, ditch, ditch.
(Here are a few rules of thumb.)
- Shiny, worn patches on knees, elbows, or seat.
- Clothes that show your shape when you are not even wearing them!
- Clothes that are too small or too big.
- Anything that is not related to your clothing should not be in your personal closet.
- If you haven’t worn it in the last year. Do us all a favor and ditch it! *Evening wear is an exception to the rule, unless you know there is no way that dress would ever be fashionable again.
Organize, organize, organize.
- You are almost done with the task at hand. Organizing your closet will make you feel a lot better!
- Organize your clothes by: color, length or function.
- Put all the out of season stuff away! Don’t let it take up unnecessary room!
Congratulations! You have accomplished what many women wouldn’t dare do! Make sure you stay organized! When you do your laundry, put all your clothes away in the same order you organized! Clutter is your enemy; if you can’t see your clothes, you don’t know what you have to work with!
“What a strange power there is in clothing.” ~Isaac Bashevis Singer